Essential Oils, Aromatherapy and Chinese Medicine
Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners incorporated essential oils into their treatment approaches thousands of years ago. They recognized the special nature of the life force stored in the oil of the plant and referred to it as its essence or jing. Likewise, a person’s essence or jing is their life force. Therefore, when you use an essential oil you are adding the plant’s essence or jing to your own to increase self-healing capacity and longevity.
How Does Body-Feedback with Essential Oils Work?
Your brain recognizes every problem in your body: muscle weaknesses, hormone imbalances, blood sugar instability, emotional issues, physical trauma, and accelerated aging. In Chinese medicine, physical imbalances have corresponding emotional imbalances. There is no separation of your body from your emotions or mental processing.
When you smell an essential oil or blend, receptor neurons located in the nasal cavity are activated. These neurons then stimulate the olfactory bulb and send information directly to several areas of the brain. The sense of smell is the only direct pathway to the brain, bypassing the blood-brain barrier.
The oil creates a temporary patch in the brain that activates energy flow to the Body-Feedback areas. This temporary patch affects your body for between one and three minutes until the neurons in the brain stop firing from smelling an individual essential oil or blend. When therapeutic grade essential oils are applied to the body or ingested, energy flows to the meridians, and the Body-Feedback areas are activated for several hours.
When the acupuncture meridian system is balanced, then the body strives for self-healing and rejuvenation. By monitoring the Body-Feedback areas, you will know when to reapply the oil for maximum benefit.
Why is Testing Essential Oils Important?
Therapeutic grade oils are powerful and everyone’s needs are individual. My clients find their best clinical results occur when they use therapeutic grade oils based on a positive response using the Body-Feedback testing methods.
Therapeutic grade essential oils that cause increased pain and tenderness at the Body-Feedback areas are negatively impacting the meridian system balance. Negative reactions to specific essential oils can occur because of:
- Strengthening the wrong meridian and thereby creating a greater imbalance
- Individual intolerances to specific plants
- Issues with the manufacturing processes
- Poor quality plant materials (often from a delay in harvest to distilling time)
With Body-Feedback testing you can rest assured that the essential oils or blends that you are using are the right ones to increase your life-force and thus have a positive impact on your overall health and wellbeing.
Know the best way to nourish your body, mind, and soul with Body-Feedback™
Body-Feedback™ Testing with Essential Oils
Summary of Steps
- Find a few tender Body-Feedback areas.
- Inhale a particular essential oil or blend once or twice.
- After exhaling, repress one of the tender Body-Feedback areas.
- Assess whether tenderness decreased, increased, or remained the same.
- Check other oils on the same area for comparison.
- Then check the best oil or blend to other tender Body-Feedback areas.
- Recheck oils for compatibility by smelling together.
- Apply oils or diffuse the most effective ones as directed by the manufacturer.
- Reassess the tenderness for reduction in pain and soreness.
- Retest daily or as needed.